Claim tax rebate for your uniform

27 Apr , 2017  

Your employer covers most expenses that incur in relation to your job. Examples include travel and accommodation expenses. But what about all the other expenses you have to pay for your work, like cleaning your uniform? If you wear protective clothing to work and you have to clean it yourself, you can claim uniform tax rebate. Sure, the standard amount is not high, but you can claim tax rebate for up to the last 4 years. If you are able to prove that you have used more of your personal savings, you can claim more. The last thing you should do is trust is ask your manager about it. They will most likely say that HR knows about the tax relief and that your tax code is adjusted accordingly. Take matters into your own hands. Or hire a tax rebate company.

Who can claim a uniform tax rebate?

Examples of persons who are entitled to claim a tax rebate for uniform washing include:

  • Teachers
  • Retail/Airplane staff
  • Police officers
  • Engineers, mechanics
  • Plumbers, carpenters, builders
  • Nurses, doctors, dentists
  • Hospitality & Catering

What you can claim

You have two options:

  • Claim for what you have spent
  • Claim a flat rate deduction

Flat rate expense deductions are set amounts that the HM Revenue and Customs has agreed for various classes of employee. They apply to people who work in trades and industries where there are common job-related expenses.  

How much you can claim

The amount of money that you can claim depends on your job. The standard reimbursement for most employees is £48, when claiming for the last 4 years. However, certain trades have a higher amount, which results in a higher rebate. These are the industries with allowances higher than £60: agriculture, banks, building, trades, electrical and electricity supply, healthcare staff, engineering, police, public transport, and textiles. Of course, the list does not end here. To know exactly how much money you can claim, use a tax rebate calculator.

Is there a catch?

You may be tempted to think that the uniform tax rebate is too good to be true. It is not, but there are some rules. You cannot claim a tax refund if your employer has provided a solution. For instance, if there is a laundry room at your work place for washing uniforms. If your employers cover the expense that incurs in relation to your job, you cannot make a claim. The last thing to keep in mind is that you cannot claim a uniform tax rebate if you do not wear a uniform for tax purposes, namely something that can be recognised by the public.

How to make a claim to the HM Revenue and Customs

If you are ready to make a claim for business expenses, you have to make a claim to the HM Revenue and Customs. Complete the form P87. You can use the HM Revenue and Customs’ online service. Pay attention to the fact that you will have to present a written record of all you job-related expenses. You can get in touch with a tax expert. A trained professional will review your case and tell you what needs to be done.




January 2019
« Dec